Wednesday 7 January 2009

Dutch Delights

In the holidays I received several parcels from friends and family in Holland. All with lovely gifts, most had some food items (Nibbit crisps still not available in the UK, as is drop, the best liquorice in the world) and just about all of that has gone. My sister in law sent me something that will keep me going for a little longer. She sent me these wonderful quilting fabrics with traditional images. Not sure what I will do with them yet though. I might have to trawl the blogs of fellow Dutch crafters for some inspiration. 



I had some friends round for lunch today and they were raving about the soup I made. It was a vegetable soup which I always make on the same principle, based on a recipe I found in a Dutch cookery book from the 50's. They liked it so much that I thought I write it down for them. 

Vegetable soup

Dice and fry one onion.
Add chopped vegetables to choice. Today I chopped up 1 big leek, 2 big carrots, 1 broccoli and 1 parsnip. Fry for a couple of minutes. 
Add water to the level of the vegetables so that they are just covered. 
Add some vegetable bouillon powder (according to packet, I tend to measure my water with a jug so that I know how much I've added to the veg). 
Add 1 bay leaf with 2 cloves stuck in (to get them out easily)
Bring to the boil and leave to boil for about 15 minutes. Take out bay leaf with cloves.
Liquidise with hand blender or liquidiser. 

Isn't this just easy? 

No comments: