Monday 14 July 2008

Eton Mess

Girl monkey went on a school trip today and even though I know that she is well looked after by teachers and other mums who are able to help, I am always thrilled to have her back home. So to celebrate her lovely day out I made her favourite dessert : Eton Mess. This dish, which is traditionally served at Eton College at their annual prize-giving event at the end of May, is made with strawberries, merengues and cream. We made ours with strawberries and raspberries. Instead of making the 'mess' before serving, I put everything on the plates for everyone to mess up themselves. This of course is the best part for the monkeys! Girl monkey added some freshly made rhubarb compote on top of her merengue (she'll have rhubarb with anything...). 




I told the monkeys the anecdote of the Labrador that had supposedly sat on a picnic basket that contained the ingredients for a picnic pudding and that's how Eton mess was invented. They looked at me with utter disbelief and in keeping with the dog story started licking their plates (help!), not a morsel was left....

On the craft front, I have made some more Suffolk puffs, enough to make a little cushion and am finishing a Beach Hut hanging in Kantha (it is too wet to be photographed at the moment).



No comments: