Wednesday 2 July 2008

Dutch Delights


Recently I discovered two albums of drawings that my dad did at school in the early 1940's. I think they are absolutely brilliant and I have decided to make them into postcards as a surprise for his birthday. I am working on his memoirs which I hope to have out soon (his big day is next week so it will have to be a belated gift!) and I might use one for the cover. Dad dutifully penned his life down, refusing to even look at a computer let alone use one, bless him. I just love this mouse and farmer!



As Mr Betsy is now working in our current home town I thought he would like to have a traditional Dutch meal, call me sentimental but every now and then I do long for what my mother put on my plate back home.... So I decided to serve him boiled potatoes, meatballs, apple sauce and salad. Really I don't think you can get any more Dutch than that. My mother gave me this beautiful book (Our Taste. What the Dutch eat and drink) for my birthday which lists the most popular Dutch products. 

Sure enough potatoes, apples and meatballs were listed but I was a little put off by this image (I am on the verge of becoming a vegetarian again).


My mother's recipe for apple sauce is still my favourite. For 4 servings peel and chop 4 apples (Gala are my favorite but I have even tried it with a mixture of Golden Delicious and Granny Smiths). Put in a pan and add a cup of water, 1 table spoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Bring to the boil for about 5 - 10 minutes or until soft; mash into a sauce. 

As I was preparing the meal, girl monkey was busy in the utility room. And look what a lovely arrangement she made. She used 12 egg cartons from the recycling box, laid them out with small stones in between and put a shell and 2 laundry pegs in them. It looked quite stunning on the floor. She told me tonight she wanted a studio too for her work! She hasn't even turned 6.......






No comments: