Friday 26 September 2008

Red Nose Day

It truly was a red nose day for me although the day was in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support. Today was the world's biggest coffee morning and I had yet again a group of lovely mums around for coffee and cakes. Because of my stinking cold for several days I didn't manage to do all the usual baking but still produced date and walnut brownies and poppy seed and lemon muffins. We had a huge supply of many kinds of biscuits, a lovely home made banana bread and a french chocolate mousse cake. Soooo delicious, I must get the recipe. I should have taken a picture of course of all the lovely things on offer but (I blame this on the cold)... I forgot. Girl monkey decorated the room with some Phoenix cup cake paper chains and then asked me whether I could save her a brownie! The best thing of all today though was that we raised a good amount of money for the charity! Thanks to everyone involved.



I couldn't bring myself to look at my emails last night, let alone blog about what we did that day. My friend Rosana and I went to Tatton Park for the Contemporary Art Biennial though and had a lovely day out. The sun has been shining all week and it has really lifted my spirits but the two of us were both a little miserable in the physical department and just pottered around the garden for a bit. I hate to say this but it was very hard to distinguish between the works of art and other objects. I do not usually have difficulties in discovering a work of art but it wasn't easy this time and they weren't sign posted very well, some may not have been on display. Even the gardeners weren't able to give us any clues as to their whereabouts. 

I believe this wasn't a work of art but another object made from string, yarn and other bits apparently was. 
This was a monument elevating the Japanese Knotweed (why?)


And this was in my opinion the best piece. I absolutely loved this work. It is a photographic image hung between the trees. Apparently there were five such works by David Cotterrell embedded throughout the gardens suggesting trompe l'oeuil and the rationale of the park's late eighteenth century landscape designer, Humphry Repton, but we only found two. The other work,  however was not as successful as this one I felt, as it was on two little wooden supports that were clearly visible and not straight which was a real shame. The works were called Little Sheep, I would love to know why. 

I don't think I will make an effort to go and see the Biennial again, I think it was quite a big word for these site specific works. We are not even sure whether there is going to be another one the lady in the shop told me. She thought it was silly to call it a biennial as this was the first one and as there were no further plans. She made me laugh. The gardens are lovely though and I know I will come to roam around again. Hopefully without a red nose next time.....

No comments: