Monday 27 April 2009

Mini Masters meet Guiseppe Arcimboldo

Due to reasons beyond my control I have been slightly out of my routine and just realised that I haven't posted a blog for over a week. Can't recall what happened at all with my time, it seems to have evaporated along with my memory. 

Something that I vividly remember though is our Mini Masters art session. I introduced the little ones to the work of Guiseppe Arcimboldo, a late 16th Century Italian artist, most famous for his paintings of portraits made up from objects (mostly edible). I showed the Mini Masters portraits made up of books, fish, fruit and vegetables and we then got busy copying various fruits on the table, incorporating them into a portrait. Most of the girls did their mums I believe, using bananas and strawberries.



At snack time we cut up the fruits and made fruity faces on paper plates before gobbling them up. 

Not sure what we are going to do next time, I'm thinking of making an elephant sculpture of recycled packaging and papier mache based on a work in the Walker Art Gallery. I would like to take this activity outside though, so let's pray for sunshine next week!

No comments: