Thursday 4 December 2008

Recycled bottle-tops Christmas wreath tutorial

This is quite scary to put a tutorial on my blog but having had so many great comments I couldn't resist sharing this information. Like many of you I have been collecting bottle tops for a while as I was told they weren't recyclable. Some of the toddlers in my art class use them occasionally in their collages but there are still plenty in my tubs. So I came up with the idea of using them in a wreath (don't ask me where I got the idea from, one of those that comes into my head late at night). 

So first I got my tub of bottle tops and found a sheet of cardboard that I cut from one of my boxes (about 50 x 50 cm). 




I then got a large fruit plate and a small one to draw precise circles (if I could ever draw a perfect circle without my plates I would be so happy).



Then I made myself a nice cup of tea (optional) and started gluing the tops on with PVA (my all time favourite glue).



I covered the whole surface...



and then spray painted them with white craft paint. At the same time I spray painted some twigs that I cut off in the summer and bound in a wreath. The bottle top one I tried to sprinkle with red glitter but a gust of wind did the work for me, hence some areas are rather heavily sprinkled and others not but it kind of adds to the effect.


Once finished the monkeys played around with it but now .....


.... it is hanging nicely on my wall. 


For the twig wreath I cut some small circles from red felt and again using PVA glued them on some of the twigs. I really liked this effect. I cannot ever throw anything out and when I made these wreaths in the summer to hang around the garden I didn't think I was going to use them inside but I am glad I did. I love circular shapes and am very fond of Christmas wreaths but I could not bring myself to buy one in the shops. These did not cost me anything at all and will hopefully be used again and again. 


2 comments:

Jenna said...

Hi, Thanks for commenting on my blog. I love your wreaths. You do such a nice job of including your children in your crafts. I often find that hard to do. The twig wreath looks like something straight from Martha Stewart, which I intend as the highest compliment:)

Almost Mrs Average said...

Just saw your link on British Mummy Bloggers. I love your wreath. That's brilliant. :-D