Sunday 17 March 2013

Aunty Social

Yesterday I went on a day trip to Blackpool as I was invited by Linzi Cason to take part in a press event in The Old Rock Factory on behalf of Redeye - The Photography Network. More about that later in the week but as Linzi showed us around the building she took us to the meeting place of Aunty Social, a community group that creates opportunities through craft, art, music and plenty of other cultural activities. 





I didn't think I would ever say this, having had a dubious experience living in Blackpool for six months about 10 years ago but I would quite like to be there right now and be part of Aunty Social. One of their groups Knittas with Attitude look like a bunch of fabulous crafts people, meeting in a fabulous place and look at the things they produce!



Girls to my own heart really, pompons and bunting, how much better does a studio interior get? 


I absolutely love this bike. That is yarn bombing at it's best! I heard the bike had been "exhibited" in the town centre and the reactions from people where truly fabulous with one woman remarking to her daughter that it was covered in yarns so that drunk people wouldn't hurt themselves! Classic! 


An awful lot has changed in Blackpool in the last 10 years. The Old Rock Factory is fabulous, the town centre is unrecognisable with many newly paved streets, street lighting and some sort of of music/light/arches installation. But one of the most memorable things is the comedy carpet but as I mentioned more about the day later. Just couldn't resist to post these shots of this wonderful group.

No comments: