Friday 2 April 2010

Make do and mend

The Easter holidays started yesterday with a trip to the DIY store. I needed to get shelves to build a cupboard, a curtain rails for the utility room and paint for this little cupboard. However I only came away with a few pots of paint; turquoise for the chest of drawers and Candyfloss pink for girl monkeys bedroom. The little thing has never been able to choose a colour for her wall but now that she has her own room she'd want to put her stamp on it. I let her choose whichever colour she wanted, even though I am not a fan of a pink bedroom.
I forgot the measurements of the shelves and couldn't find a nice curtain rails, and just as well as I found a lovely one with glass knobs in the cellars later on.

My first project of the weekend was this chest of drawers.


One of my friends is leaving the country at the end of the month so she is trying to get rid of many household items and furniture. I was in need of more storage so I picked this one up earlier in the week, I knew it needed a lick of paint.
I started with a pale blue (Dulux Seahorse Blue) as I had planned to give the chest an antiquated look by rubbing some paint of with steel wool.


Once dry I gave it a few coats of turquoise and put some antique doorknobs on the drawers that I picked up in Portobello Road several years ago. I was really pleased with the effect so in the end did not sand of any paint around the edges to show the first layer. I know it is there so if I ever wanted to do that I can.



Tomorrow girl monkey and I will start playing with the Candyfloss pink, can't wait. It is great to put my stamp on the house too!

No comments: