Sunday 29 March 2009

The Betsy's go to Another Place

It was another beautiful day in the North and after yesterday's long day at the craft fair I decided to : 



The day started with a wonderful performance from girl monkey and her drama school. As it was such a glorious day we decided to go out and get some fresh air. One of the things on my list of 'a million things to do and places to visit' was go and see the Antony Gormley sculptures in Crosby.

Another Place is a group of one hundred life-size cast-iron sculptures that spread out along three kilometers along the beach and one kilometer into the sea. Depending on the tide they are emerging at various depths out of the sea with some of them halfway under sand. It is an absolutely beautiful sight. 


Not only was it an awesome sight and a beautiful day, I also met the nicest couple on the beach. Julie and Liam gave me very useful local information which made me decide to come back again but above all they were just so lovely. It doesn't happen every day that you meet people like them. 


Even though it would take me some time I was hoping to see all of these sculptures one day (and had started to take pictures of the numbers on their 'bracelets') but then I read that due to the quick sand it is actually quite dangerous to see the ones further out. When reviewing the pictures that I had taken at home I realised that there were funny marks on them. I suppose boy monkey's ice cream finger shouldn't have touched the lens!

The monkeys had a ball. We couldn't get them to leave. I think I impressed them with finding three star fish. Apparently that is quite unusual. They looked like a mummy, daddy and baby star fish and we are hoping to dry them, although I don't think it is sunny enough quite yet. Before anyone feels like commenting, they are dead! I wouldn't be so cruel to take them away from their lovely home to cruelly dry at home, just in case you were wondering.....


I feel totally refreshed. The seashore always has that effect on me. Ready to start the week again!

No comments: