Sunday 19 December 2010

Have a merry green Christmas

I am so excited just a few more days until Father Christmas comes. I love this time of year; I've got a roaring fire going, the lights in the tree are sparkling and there is snow outside. Sitting in my comfortable arm chair I can't seem to get a permanent grin off my face looking at all the decorations and the tree.

The last two weeks have been extremely busy. For Busy Betsy this is the most hectic time of year with most orders coming in last minute. We've finished them all for the week and are now enjoying some quiet time, roaming around the Manchester Christmas Market (apparently it rivals the German ones!).



In order to get the house ready for Christmas I tend to do a fair bit of sorting out, with trips to the recycling bins and charity shops. And on that note I had to say goodbye to my favourite pair of Joules wellies. They cheered me (and many onlookers) up on rainy days over the past few years but the many holes in them now make them totally unsuitable. It seemed that all Joules wellies have sold out everywhere so I had to content myself with another brand but as they are zebra print with pink lining I think they will be equally cheerful.


Tonight I had to do some proper cleaning and I wasn't amused. The former Mr. B. looked after the monkeys for one day and stayed at the Betsy residence which includes a cat. Never been keen on the animal and not really knowing how to look after them he'd closed the door to the poor thing's playroom and therefore she used the kitchen cupboard as a toilet! All our baking and lunch box equipment was stinking and I think I may have to replace a shelf in the cupboard. More hassle than it was worth but one lives and learns. Thankfully I had the Ecover sprays ready to make it smell a bit better. My friends at Ecover sent me some fabulous green tips this week to get us through the festive season. I think they are helpful and hope they can trigger some green thinking with others:

  • Get some eco in your Christmas wardrobe – why not rock the office Christmas party eco-style this festive season? Visit www.britishfashioncouncil.co.uk for a list of eco fashion labels
  • Buying a real tree? Visit the Forest Stewardship Council website to make sure your precious pine has been farmed sustainably – www.fsc-uk.org
  • e-Christmas cards – why not try Facebook, Twitter or email rather than snail mail to send your seasons greetings?
  • Recycled wrapping paper is a really easy way to score ‘green’ points at Christmas and doesn’t cost the earth. Try the selection at www.ethicalsuperstore.com
  • Banish those stains – red wine, gravy, cranberry sauce stains are rife on Christmas day. Remove them with ease Ecover’s Stain Remover – so effective it’s been awarded a Which? Best Buy
  • Turn off the fairy lights at times when you are out of the house or in bed – it’s both safe and energy efficient!
  • Treat your guests to some eco luxury – pop some Ecover Hand Wash in the bathroom and try Ecover Room Fragrance to keep your house smelling fresh
  • Travel together – try car sharing with friends and family or taking the bus to the shops to do your Christmas shopping
  • Once you’ve filled up on turkey, yorkshire puddings and brussel sprouts, wash the dishes with Ecover Washing Up Liquid (Busy Betsy thinks this really smells the very best, honestly I have tried them all!)– you can even use your grey water to feed the Christmas tree!


Having done all that cleaning I am looking forward to opening this lovely bottle of Shloer on the mantle piece. Nothing better to keep you in the festive spirit than a bottle of bubbly! Don't get me wrong I do appreciate an alcoholic version but this time of year it flows too freely and I need a 'clean' day every now and then and Shloer is the best choice. If you’re looking for a little more sparkle for your Christmas entertaining, Shloer is on hand with some mouth-watering ideas to keep the food flowing and the family happy – whether that’s a traditional roast, or a lighter alternative. Simply visit the official Shloer Facebook page at www.facebook.com/shloer to find recipes, shopping lists and information on the latest promotions. You can also pick up some tips on how to roast the perfect potato from one of the many Shloer fans, who are always on hand for a pointer or two! A number of my friends do not drink at all and pouring either white or pink Shloer in a champagne glass doesn't look any different and doesn't make anyone uncomfortable having to come up with excuses why they are not drinking.

I am going to put my feet up and open that bottle!



No comments: