Monday 11 August 2008

Busy Betsy's mountain of paperwork

Here I am, trying to recap the wonderful times of the third week of the holidays and all I can think about is a mountain of paperwork to sort out, boring admin, domestic issues, enough to make me want to disappear into a big hole but thank goodness the monkeys keep me on my positive toes. Mind you the week started great with a fun dinner at friends, the kids played outside till late and the grown ups opened too many bottles of wine but it is the holidays after all. The rest of the week was a bit of a blur but then this weekend the Family Friendly Film Festival started in Manchester and we have been thoroughly enjoying it so far. 

Yesterday we went to the Stockport Plaza for their Pirate day. Now I have only very recently discovered Stockport after having lived in Manchester for nearly 4 1/2 years and I absolutely love it!! Coming to the Plaza only made me love this place even more. This cinema was first opened in 1932 and has since the late 90's been restored to original glory. The staff were just fabulous. It felt like walking into a family organisation, everyone was so friendly and all dressed up. The monkeys enjoyed all the family friendly activities, all the pirates everywhere and thought the films shown (Peter Pan and the Princess Bride) wonderful. Boy monkey and I could have done without the last film though. I was particularly impressed with the live music. The organists played classic film tunes from the heart on the Comptan Organ. The Plaza is one of the very few cinemas in the UK that still retains the original organ and this one survived intact and is in full working order. It is just magnificent. It even rises out of the floor. The colours of the organ and on the ceiling changed and I couldn't stop watching. The photograph doesn't do it justice but it is the best I could do.




Today we went to the next event of the festival which took place at Urbis. Plenty of craft activities and swinging in the Baby Loves Disco tent. What a great concept. I think this was more for the parents, well at least I really enjoyed myself swinging my hips to old and new classics. 
It was great to revisit Urbis as well. The Manga exhibition couldn't get me too excited but I loved the Urban Gardening exhibition. Apart from this rather dull shot I wasn't able to take any more decent pictures as boy monkey kept disappearing in the shed and girl monkey wanted to discover all the other urban gardens on her own, panic for Busy Betsy! We couldn't visit the Matthew Williams show as they were filming but hopefully we will make another trip soon. 


I know this week will be another low one on the craft front not least because we need to prepare for our holiday, YIPPEEEEE so I am pleased that this week I have at least started this :



And finished this :


I do hope my neighbours do not want it back!

My utility room is now the proud place of my new bookcase that will be filled soon with all my craft books and baskets for my arts and crafts classes that I will start in September. I really am very happy with this find

No comments: